On December 22nd, 2018, Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush issued five "guiding principles" for the Texas Coastal Barrier proposal and study moving forward.
- "Locate the levee system on or along the beach. This should be a sand dune-based system which would fit with the natural ecology. We must include nourished beaches to protect the dune levee and provide much needed sand to our already eroding beaches. I will not support any such sand levee unless adequate access to the beach is included. Consideration for property rights must be taken into account."
- "The gate at Bolivar Roads proposal must not harm the ecology or the environment of the gulf."
- "Provide alternatives to the ring levee in Galveston."
- "The draft proposal must be republished with all necessary disclaimers that this is a draft document printed on every page."
- "Finally after this public comment period is complete, we must hold another round of public meetings to review how the Corps has digested the feedback to date."